Monday, 13 April 2015

Is it all about the shoes?

The problem with my generation is we thought we were being progressive by wearing trousers. And if you think about it, wearing trousers really does eradicate the need for a lot of other female clothing cliches (I'm talking tights) as well as the excuse for not being able to sit "Indian style" on the floor. Wearing trousers enabled girls to ride bikes with cross bars too. Add to this mix the fact that I also refused to wear the colour pink and I really thought I had overcome the clothing gender stereotype.

But a few articles recently have caught my attention. Namely the choices of shoes available for girls to wear to school. I'm not talking the older girls (for the moment), I'm talking younger girls who, let's be honest, are extremely vulnerable to imprinting. How wonderful young girls are being encouraged to question what is available to them simply because of their gender.

I have to say I don't really remember having preferences for certain toys or clothes. But then, I'm not of the generation who grew up with My Little Pony: it really was dolls for girls and trucks for boys with not a whole lot of variation.

But there is a whole lot of variation of toys and clothes on offer now and dare I say it is the ADULTS who have the difficulty getting their heads around it when a child has a preference for something that is "supposed" to be for something outside their genre's expectations. So much so that young children and now being offered therapy for early signs of being transgender.

Are we pressuring children to make up their minds about their sexuality too early in life? Does it matter about their preferences?

What do shoes say--if anything--about our sexual 
or career preferences later in life?

Just to add a bit of a counter argument, I leave with a lively list of women WHO GAVE NO F*CKS about what kind of shoes they were expected to wear. They didn't let a lack of choice affect them. . .




No comments:

Post a Comment